Monday, April 13, 2009

One Day (But not yet) We Will Also Be Labeled As, "The Older Generation"

   Last Wednesday in class, I believe we all in agreement that although Robocop may have been ahead of its time, now-a-days its “special effects” left much to be desired. One of the first things that I noticed, was the original robot present to the police of Detroit. Its jerky motions made it very apparent to the viewer that it wasn’t really even moving, but rather its “movement” was provided by some clever editing. What was really comical, is that this particular film was set in the future, but was still rank with the eighties. A box television with dials was even present in one scene and the hair styles and clothing left little room to imagine this film taking place in any decade besides the one is was filmed in. So  much so that after the movie was over,  I even leaned over to a classmate  and asked if it was supposed to be set in the future. These dated, futuristic movies tend to leave one dazed and thrown-off course, but in the meantime, they also tend to offer some unintended comedy. (See the jerky movements mentioned above. I mean, come on ,that was funny.) Some This prompted me to start thinking, what other films are so obviously dated? What modern films will be laughed at in the future?

      The first one I could think of is one my Dad and brother are fans of: The original Star

 Wars trilogy (you know, the third through sixth, the old ones). These three films were also children of the eighties and the times definitely left there mark. Like Robocop, the Star Wars trilogy was intended to be futuristic, but now they simply leave the viewer a bit confused and maybe even a tiny bit lost in time. I think one of the main comedic situations in any one of these films has to be the somewhat stilted dialogue. However, I am not sure if this is due to when they were produced. (Perhaps it is due to the skill, or lack there of, of the actors.) But if you are watching with a quick and observant eye, you will undoubtedly find unintentional comedy

     Another film I just couldn’t resist comparing to Robocop was Back to the Future. Back to the Future was filmed in 1985, and while it was not necessarily filmed with the intention of making it look futuristic, there are some aspects of it that are intending to be a little modern. For instance, take a gander at the time machine the old professor is oh so proud of. Can you say dated? There is no way I would ever set foot in a time machine that looked as ancient as that. Then I have to remind myself that at that time, that car was hot stuff.

     I think that no matter what, we will always look back on movies that one point were at the height of technology and fashion and think, “Wow, that movie was ridiculous.” It is inevitable. Fortunately, it provides good comedic entertainment for later generations. 


Speaking of the older generations....sorry, couldn't resist. This was just funny. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I totally agree about Robocop being kind of funny because of its "futuristic" yet distinctively 80s themes. However, I have to say that even though there are three new Star Wars films in our own generation, I vastly prefer those made in the 1970s and 80s, and I know many others who would agree with me. Is this because they are the originals, the ones our parents raised us on, or because they have some kind of superior quality? Maybe good special effects do not a superior movie make...(a little Yoda for ya, there).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robocop definitely would not be cool if it came out today (besides the nostalgia factor). I have never liked the action movies of the past because we're spoiled now with our special effects. I guess I just appreciate them because those were once state of the art effects. Would you say Robocop is cool?

    ReplyDelete